Sunday, August 13, 2006

San Francisco Palace of Fine Arts


(Click on image to enlarge it)
And now for something completely different. This painting is from a photo I took when we visited San Francisco in March. The Palace of Fine Arts was built for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition celebrating both the discovery of the Pacific Ocean and the completion of the Panama Canal. It was also a way to celebrate San Francisco's resurrection from the 1906 earthquake. The palace was constructed by the city on landfill that is now the Marina District with it's expensive homes. Not exactly earthquake proof.

This painting is a departure from what I have been panting mostly because of the detail. I think a painting like this either needs to be a loose abstraction or extremely realistic. Unfortunately I probably fell somewhere in between.

The most difficult part of the paintings was getting the fluting on the columns to look right as well as the shading on the columns. I simplified some of the detail work and even invented a few things. My apologies to the architect Bernard R. Maybeck.

The part I like best are the shadows on and near the reddish columns.

0 comments: