Saturday, October 04, 2008

Botanicals

(click image to enlarge)
This painting is loosely based on a photo I took. The flowers below the irises in the photo were yellow freesia so I changed them to daises. I did the drawing for this painting in pencil then decided to add pen and ink. Once I got started with the painting process, I realized, because of the dark colors, that the pen and ink weren't really needed. I did about five or six layers for the blue of the irises. I initially intended to have the dark background fade to a lighter color as the eye moved to the upper-left; but the black background seemed to make all the flowers pop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The angles of the daisies are really nice and the black background makes the whole painting stunning!!

Terry Banderas said...

Tim--
Enjoyed your LA sketches. I like your nice use of color along with loose ink strokes.