Friday, August 29, 2008

LEFT-HANDED FRUIT

(Click image to enlarge)
Size 24" x 18"
Paints: indigo, rose madder, vermillion, indian yellow, raw sienna, alizarin crimson, phalo blue, burnt sienna and van dyke brown
I'm entering this painting in the Eugene Mayor's Art Show today. It is a juried competition with an about 1 in 10 chance of getting selected. The good news is that all those who are rejected can enter their work in the Salon de Refuses, a show that runs unjuried through the entire month of September.
An hour into this painting I was ready to recycle the paper and start over. The colors weren't right and I wasn't sure of the composition. But I persevered and like the results. There are a lot of layering of all the primary colors to get the brightness I wanted. I kept putting in darker and darker shadows to create the contrast and give it depth. There are a few things I really like (the center raisin) and some things I wish I would have done better or differently. I don't think I'll ever be completely satisfied with a painting and maybe that is a good thing.



0 comments: