Tuesday, April 22, 2008

ZOOM! ZOOM!

I think I may have overdosed on painting chrome after this one. When I showed Carolyn the drawing for this painting she said, "What is it?" I should probably enter a 12 step program for chrome painters and be allowed to paint only flowers for a month.

Okay. So what it is? Well, the painting is based on a picture I took at a Harley Davidson dealership. This is the side of a Harley Dyna Low Rider. The light was coming from the showroom windows behind the bike and from a lot of spotlights in the showroom ceiling.


I masked off areas I wanted to remain white. I then started painting the light blue highlights including some areas that I would be adding black to (the black being a mix of indigo and van dyke brown). The blue would be higlights on the black rubber foot supports, for example. I then began adding all the dark highlights and mostly working from left to right across the composition. Finally I added some reflected red color.

Zoom! Zoom! Off to chrome painter's rehab!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tim,

I knew it was a motorcycle right away - wonderful work! I love reflections, too.

Miriam

Anonymous said...

I think this one might be your best of the motorcycle/chrome paintings. A motorcycle lovers dream!