Tuesday, August 07, 2007

NEWPORT SISTERS

(Click on image to enlarge)

I have ambivalent feelings about this painting. There are things I like about it, but there are also things I didn't get right. The perspective on the dock is off, the background seems a bit too busy and the water to the left in the foreground appears to me to have too much contrast. This is sort of like the kid puzzle where they are asked to "Find six things wrong with this picture".

Having said that, it is an improvement over the first boat painting I did last year where the water looked like Jell-o and the boats looked like they were floating downhill. I like the white on the boats and especially the reflections in the water.

I took this picture in Newport, Oregon, this summer. The couple working on the boat on the right was selling crab and tuna right off the boat.

0 comments: