Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Olson's Sailboat


This boat belongs to Diana Olson. She gave me a picture thinking I might want to paint it. She was right! This was an easy composition to draw with all the straight lines. I apologize for taking a bit of artistic license with her picture by adding numbers on the sail and adding some clouds on the horizon.

I saved the water to paint last because I wasn't sure how to do it. Even though it is a bit impressionistic, I think the contrast between the sails and the water really makes the picture. I'm satisfied with how it turned out as long as I don't keep looking for mistakes :). And where was Diana when the picture was taken? I think she must have been jumping out of the boat, took the picture and threw the camera to someone in the boat as she splashed into the lake. That's dedication!

0 comments: