Saturday, February 03, 2007

STREET VENDOR

(Click on image to enlarge)

This painting is from a photograph by friend Tim Craig. Tim has spent a lot of time in the Middle East and has taken pictures wherever he goes.

This image is of a street vendor who was selling cigarettes. I modified the drawing a bit for the painting by simplifying the background and cropping the size.

The challenge with this painting was to get the blue cloth to look right. There are a lot of folds and shadows. I do like the depth of the background with the shadows of the wood against the brick wall. I'm also satisfied with the man's craggy face.

The man's right hand looks too large, but it appears that way in the picture. I don't know if there is something wrong with his hand or the camera lens just made it look bigger than it really is.

1 comments:

Joyce said...

I've looked at your paintings and love the masterly way you use watercolours. I especially love the auto paintings.