Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Garden Hose: My new favorite painting tool



I took the picture for this painting in San Francisco. I rearranged the Golden Gate Bridge so it was closer and added a sea gull and a sunset. I masked off the ship, seagull and bridge and then soaked the entire paper with water. I dropped in some watery yellow, red and blue paint and tilted the paper left, right, up and down to create an awesome sunset background. The problems started right away as the paint, when it hit the masked portions of the painting, took an abrupt left turn. This created not an awesome sunset but an awful mess.
When the paint and paper were dry, I took the painting outside and turned the garden hose on it. The hose washed a bit of the paint off but, more importantly, blended the colors. So, after almost throwing the painting away, I was back in business. My goal was to create at least something I'd keep, if not show someone. I'm not sure how successful I was, but I did keep it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I especially like the detailing on the boat and the sunset's reflection.